Saturday, September 6, 2014

Touchdown

I am typing this post from Shanghai, China.

Hooooly shit.

I don't think I'll really be able to accept this is real until I have my dorm room furnished, my health status cleared and my residence permit in hand. (This has to happen within 30 days, or it's the boot for me.) But facts are facts, and the fact remains: I am in Shanghai.

And thus, this blog can finally level up from half-assed, dubiously empirical tourist thoughts to the Remarkably True Adventures of a Clueless Child in Shanghai.

Flight, baggage claim, and taxi were no problem, praise be to the gods of the open roads. And to my dad, for going with me. I'd have had considerably less space to pack my stuff, only a fraction of the carrying-things power, and hardly any independent travel experience if he hadn't been here.

Allegedly, I will be able to get into my dorm on September 8, which is when we will start working to get me settled in earnest. Right now, though, there isn't that much that has to be done. So far, I've taken a blessed shower, struggled to keep up with the subtitles on Chinese soaps ("I'm pregnant... with your son's child" *ELECTRIC GUITAR*), and snoozed in the hotel bed. And test-run my VPN connection, of course! I'm happy to say it runs like clockwork. This post is brought to you courtesy of a server in Japan. Kono bangumi wa goran no suponsaa no teikyou de okurishimasu.

Right now, my dad is off somewhere in the hotel (probably sampling Chinese beer) and I am sitting by the window, looking up at the moon and contemplating the fact that I am going to live here for the next ten months. Sky is a melancholy bluish-grey (bluer than what my phone camera can capture, fear not for mine lungs). A reminder that I will be living in the midst of heavy pollution, but also in a world megapolis. I am (somewhat naively) nursing high hopes for the cyberpunk aspects of this city.


This is the first day. Join me for all the rest.


2 comments:

DAMN YO CHINA IS HELLA COOL WTF
AND LOOK AT THAT SCHOOL HOLY SHIT THAT

Post a Comment