Friday, September 12, 2014

chillin'

Taking the chance to just relax in my room now that registration is over with and classes haven't started yet.

Registration was basically a process of being shunted from counter to counter, room to room, floor to floor in one of the lecture buildings, passing a form along for each clerk to OK. I didn't have to pay any tuition fees because of the scholarship, meaning I've saved 24,800 RMB on tuition alone. WOOP.

I also had a 2-minute interview in Chinese where a man asked me how long I had studied and if I had done the HSK. When I told him I had passed HSK3, he estimated my level and sent me off to the testing room... where I did an impossible digital placement test on a completely empty stomach. By the reading part, I gave up even trying to concentrate and just guessed the answer to every question, but somehow I still managed to get 50/100 points. This put me at level 中二, or Intermediate level 2.

I got to take a look at the books for this level and read a little bit out loud, to see whether or not the course was too hard or too easy, and magically it does seem like that bizarrely difficult test was somewhat accurate. I've been looking through my books (a total of 9!), and I'm hoping that the course level will be fine: challenging, but not impossibru.

I'm supposed to have 10 classes a week, meaning 2 periods per day. The preliminary schedule looks awesome: classes from 8:30-12:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and from 13:10-16:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It takes me about 2 minutes to walk from the lecture building to my dorm. After 3 years of more or less terrible high school schedules with one-hour-door-to-door commuting, this is a huuuge deal for me.

Also came home with some loot: a tourist map, useless student handbook telling me to study hard and not gamble in 4 different languages, and my official school tote bag and hoodie (in the lovely color "sweatpants grey").

me scratching the unsightly boil on the back of my neck being extremely adorable

1 comments:

Post a Comment